Early Beginnings in Piney Wood, Campbell County, GA
The history of Providence Baptist Church began in the early 1800s, in a rural community called Piney Wood, in Campbell County, Georgia. The original church was a one-room log cabin located on Garretts Ferry Road (now Kite Road), approximately one half mile from the site of the present church. This first church was Primitive Baptist, which most likely meant its church services consisted of preaching, praying, and singing. As time progressed, many members changed their scriptural viewpoint and became Missionary Baptists at heart, so they decided to procure a tract of land and build a Missionary Baptist Church.
New Church – 1852
In 1852, a new church was built on land deeded by Mrs. Buran. The one-room frame building was constructed on Campbellton Redwine Rd., the site of the current church.
Reverend James Rainwater served from 1852-1869, and also served three years at the “old” church.
In 1856, the first Sunday school was organized.
In 1889, the community name of Piney Wood was changed to Rico.
In 1936, Saturday services were discontinued.
Renovations The church has undergone many renovations over its lifetime. Significant changes by year include:
Providence Baptist Church Today
Providence Baptist Church continues to grow in membership and to participate in mission activities throughout the community, the state, the nation, and the world. Providence Baptist Church is a member of the Fairburn Baptist Association.
The source for this history is an article written by Mrs. J.B. (Lee Nora) Smith, with additions made by her granddaughter Bonnie Melear Goode, titled, “A History of Providence Baptist Church 1852-2002.”