Richardson Family Cemetery
The Richardson Family Cemetery is located on the west side of Water Works Road, about 0.3 mile south of Hutcheson Ferry Rd at the Coweta County line in Chattahoochee Hills, GA.
The cemetery has 34 visible gravesites that include box slab tombs, graves covered in sea shells, large engraved tombstones, and several unmarked fieldstones.
Mary Ann Grace is a descendant of the Richardson family and has written extensively on their genealogy. According to Mary Ann, Elizabeth (Anderson) Richardson was her great great-grandmother. Elizabeth and her husband, William Landrus, moved to Palmetto from Dacula/Lawrenceville, Georgia in about 1936. They had nine children: Susan Francis*, Sarah Dorothy, William Matthew (Mary Ann’s great grandfather), Georgia Thomas, John Anderson*, James Landrus, Hillery Ellis*, Mary Elizabeth, and Ira Johnson. (*buried in the Richardson Family Cemetery).
While no visible gravesite can be found for John Anderson, Mary Ann has substantiating documentation that proves he is buried in the Richardson Family Cemetery. John was a captain during the Civil War and later was a school master in Palmetto and also the Atlanta area. He wrote the book Richardson’s Defense of the South, available at: http://ia600308.us.archive.org/32/items/richardsonsdefen00rich/richardsonsdefen00rich.pdf
Mary Ann thinks that William Matthew and Mary Elizabeth (Weaver) Richardson are also buried in the cemetery. William (Mary Ann’s grandfather) was killed very early in the war years and Mary Elizabeth died shortly after. The wife of Hillery Ellis (Sophronia M. Woodley) is also probably buried in this cemetery. She died in 1910.
The property that is now owned by the Georgia Baptist Children’s Home on Hutcheson Ferry Rd was once a part of the Richardson Family property. Descendants of the Richardson Family still gather there for their annual reunion in July.
See additional information in the genealogy section of this report as provided by descendants Mary Ann Grace and Kenneth Mooney.