St. Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church
The following history was found at the Old Campbell County Historical Society, date and author unknown.
Trustees of the St. Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church purchased a half acre in Land Lot 8, District 7, originally Coweta then Campbell County, from Mrs. Nora L. Hopkins on September 16, 1889. This property was located on the Public Road leading from Palmetto to the Chattahoochee River.
These Trustees were: George Weaver, Major Vaughn and Berry Jackson Jr.
In June, 1916, the deed to the church property was used to secure a loan of $300. In this Deed, the description includes “lying in front of the St. Paul School House. . . thence south to white cemetery. . . containing one and one half acres.”
The Trustees listed on the 1916 deed are: Charlie Jackson, Major Vaughn, Mark Sumlin, Mark Sumlin, Lump Cook, Jerry Weaver, Thom. Jackson, Lewis Vaughn, Wm. Sumlin and Thos. Cochran.
George Weaver, son of Abe and Annie Weaver, was born about 1875. He married Thursda (Thersana?) and had at least 3 children: Mary Lee, Edward and Willie D.
Major Vaughn, son of Jack & Sela Vaughn of Coweta County, was born about 1860. His wife’s name is show as Malsie and Jennie on census records. They lived in Rivertown, Campbell County in 1910, but had moved to Dayton, Montgomery County, Ohio, by 1930.
Jerry Weaver, son of Abe and Annie Weaver and brother of George, was born about 1865. His wife’s name is show as Timothy on census records and they were living in Goodes District, Campbell County in 1910. In 1920, they are shown in Palmetto, and by 1930, they moved to Dayton, Montgomery County, Ohio.
Lumpkin (“Lump”) Cook, son of George and Mariah Cook of Coweta County, was born about 1867. He married Martha Ann Richardson in Campbell County.