Varner Family Cemetery
The Varner Family Cemetery is located on the west side of Campbellton Redwine Rd, approximately 0.68 mile north of Hutcheson Ferry Rd. The cemetery is off of a gas line easement on top of a spur (see topographical map in the Project Report).
There are 16 graves visible on the site including four box tombs, two monuments, and several other stone markers. The only inscriptions visible were for the Varner and Johnson family members; however, there may be many more markers under the heavy vegetation.
According to the book, Palmetto: A Town and its People, John Henley Varner came from Oglethorpe County, Georgia, in 1805 and purchased land in the County Line Community. His oldest son William Matthew Varner, who was born in 1824, married Saphronia Angelyn Herren, who was born in 1833. William and Saphronia have beautiful monuments, see photo above. One other tombstone worth noting is for Sgt. William A. Johnson, who had the military tombstone inscribed with CSA (Confederate States of America).
There was no reference to the Johnson family in the Palmetto book.