Owen Cochran Mill (from Old Mills of Mystery)
By Lila (Hargis) Rhyne, June 7, 1988
The first Cochran Mill was located on Little Bear Creek. There are two tales as to who build the Owen Cochran Mill. Some records show that Cheadle Cochran owned a merchant mill. He possibly could have built or bought this mill and passed it on to his son, Owen. On a Civil War map of 1864, it shows a Phillips Mill located near or on the same site as the Cochran Mill. Other records show that the mill was built by Berry Wynn Cochran and a Mr. Aderhold for Berry’s brother, Owen sometime after the Civil War.
Berry Wynn Cochran and Owen Henry Cochran were sons of Chester Cheadle Cochran, a prominent politician in the Georgia Senate. Berry and Owen served in the Confederate Army during the Civil War. After the way, both returned home and entered the milling business.
Cochran Mill was in operation from the late 1860’s to the early 1960’s. It was used over one hundred years as a grist mill. Owen in his will of 1900 leaves his mill farm of 700 acres and his one half interest in Henry Mill Farm to his three sons. The mystery still remains of who actually started the first mill on this site. Photos below are from Lila's report. Hover on the photo for captions.