Pleasant Hill Methodist Church Cemetery
This cemetery is believed to be the first cemetery of Pleasant Hill Methodist Church, which later became Rivertown United Methodist Church.
According to the late Mrs. Nellie Tanner, “The African American people of this area initially established two Brush Arbors for their worship service in the late 1800s. The first one was located on the Tanner’s property; the second one was located near the present site of the old church at Rivertown (near Cedar Grove Rd) possibly on the Cochran’s Place.”
The church later acquired two acres and built the first wood church named Pleasant Hill Methodist Church. The church continued to meet at its location near Rivertown Rd and Cedar Grove where its current cemetery is located, and then in the 1970s it changed its name to Rivertown United Methodist Church, acquired 3 acres of land and built a new church at 9325 Rivertown Rd, its current location.
The Pleasant Hill Methodist Church is marked as “cemetery owned” on the tax records, however the parcel is land-locked and only accessible via private property. Permission must be obtained to visit this cemetery by contacting the community development office at Chattahoochee Hills City Hall (770-463-8881), who will in turn contact one of the adjoining property owners.
The cemetery has an estimated 56 gravesites, 20 of which have readable headstones. The oldest inscribed grave marker is 1895, the newest is 1956.