Piney Woods Baptist Cemetery
Piney Woods Baptist Church Cemetery is located on Kite Rd (formerly a part of Garretts Ferry Rd), approximately 0.7 miles west of Campbellton Redwine Rd on the north side of the street.
The cemetery has approximately 50 visible grave sites including box slab tombs, graves covered in sea shells, traditional tombstones, and unmarked rocks. One side of the burial ground is the graves of the Negro slaves of the families, according to an article written by Helen Collins Selman (We wanted to be called Green Eyes.)
Piney Woods Primitive Baptist Church was located across from the old road bed located on the other side of the gate which now forms the public end of Kite Rd. This one-room log cabin was built in the early 1800’s and was the predicator to Providence Baptist Church, built in 1852. According to the Providence Baptist Church Web site (see www.pbcrico.org), Reverend James Rainwater served for three years at the “old church.”
The photo of Rev. Rainwater (at right) is owned by Erin Leongomez and is from the following Website: http://chronography.com/rainwater/oldgallery/aug2001.html.
Editor’s notes: Page four contains a compilation of four surveys that have been recorded for this site: