Terry-Tanner Family Cemetery
The Terry-Tanner Family Cemetery is located on the north side of Woodruff Rd., 0.2 mile east from Campbellton Redwine Rd.The cemetery has 10 visible gravesites that include box slab tombs, graves covered in sea shells, and several large, engraved tomb-stones.
Nancy Jones Cornell, of Fairburn, GA, is a descendant of the Terry family and has written extensively on their genealogy.
According to Mrs. Cornell, John and Antha Terry were living in Campbell County by 1840. John died Jan. 20, 1870, and his wife died Sept. 24, 1875. Both are buried in the Terry-Tanner Cemetery; however, there are no marked tombstones identifying their gravesites. (Possibly the graves marked 8 & 9 are their gravesites.)
John and Antha had five children, two of whom are buried in the Terry-Tanner Cemetery. Their eldest daughter Louisa married Berry H. Loveless [second husband] (graves marked 6 & 7), and their third child Nancy married William A. Tanner (graves marked 1 & 2).
Nancy and William Tanner’s daughter Lou Etta married W.Z. Yates and had two sons, Herman and Willie, who both died in infancy. Lou Etta and Willie are buried in the Terry-Tanner Cemetery (graves marked 4 & 5).
[Editor’s notes: There are two previous surveys recorded for this site: Nancy Jones Cornell recorded this site in 1980 in her book Campbell County, Georgia Cemeteries – Volume 1. And Kay Long recorded this site in 1994. Her cemetery photos, map and tombstone survey are included in the Project Report, Appendix A.]