County Line Community (Redwine)
The crossroads community of Redwine is located around the intersection of Hutcheson Ferry Road and Campbellton-Redwine Road, just north of the Coweta County line.
The small community takes its name from the Redwine family who had owned much of the property in the vicinity since the late nineteenth century.
Originally known as County Line, the area was settled by James Hutcheson, a native of Ireland, after he purchased 10,000 acres of land in Carroll, Coweta and Campbell counties through the 1827 Land Lottery. A blacksmith by trade, Mr. Hutcheson branched out into a number of different business ventures. He operated a mill and well and plow manufacturing company in nearby Carroll County and, along with his nephew, Arthur Hutcheson, farmed a plantation and ran a general store on his property at Hutcheson Ferry Road. Growing cotton and corn, James Hutcheson augmented his commercial holdings with a double cotton gin run by a steam boiler and by operating the ferry crossing just to the west of his home. His daughter, Sarah, married John Redwine in 1871 and the couple eventually inherited the Hutcheson property. Their son, Frank Hutcheson Redwine, continued to operate the general store until it burned in 1910 and the family leased much of their land to tenant farmers during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. By the 1950’s, farming had ceased to be a profitable enterprise in Campbell County and much of the Redwine property was sold.
The Redwine Plantation home at 13125 Hutcheson Ferry Road (FU-36) (c.1840) is a plantation plain
house type with Greek Revival architectural elements. The house retains much of its original character,
although numerous additions have been made to the building over time, including a side gabled addition
in the 1940s and the enclosure of the rear, detached kitchen during the 1970s. The property is also notable
for its formal boxwood gardens and distinct, cupola-topped barn, which were designed by landscape
architect P. J. Berckmans in 1845. A native of Belgium, Berckmans traveled throughout the southeast as
an itinerant gardener before establishing Fruitland Nurseries just outside of Augusta, Georgia in 1858.42
Today, Fruitland Nurseries is the site of Augusta National Golf Course.
Although today the Redwine property has been reduced to five acres in size, a number of the old
commercial and agricultural buildings that once comprised the family’s larger holdings are still extant.
Located just across Hutcheson Ferry Road from the Redwine Plantation is the second general store (FU-
38) (c.1940-1949) owned by the family. The frame, one room building is overgrown and in an extremely
ruinous condition. Nearby on Hutcheson Ferry Road, just north of the county line, is a frame saddlebag
house (FU-37) (c.1880-1890), a relic of the period of tenant farming on the property. Other examples of
Redwine tenant housing can be found along Hutcheson Ferry Road to the east, including a saddlebag
house type (FU103) (c.1900-1909) and another double-pen house type at 122529 Hutcheson Ferry Road
The Phillips House is another historic property near the Redwine Community. Located at 13175
Hutcheson Ferry Road, just to the west of the Redwine property, the Phillips House (FU-39) (c.1840) is an antebellum era, gabled-ell cottage type with a number of later nineteenth and twentieth century
additions. The Phillips family obtained the land through the1827 Land Lottery and was the first operators
of the nearby Hutcheson Ferry crossing. In addition to the house, two attendant agricultural outbuildings
and the Phillips family cemetery are also located on the property. Ten people are buried plot, including
Levi Phillips and some of the Phillips family slaves. Seven graves are marked with fieldstones and three
with stone markers.
The old Varner House (FU-35) (c. 1880-1889) is found to the north at 8661 Campbellton-Redwine Road.
It is a one-and-a-half story gabled ell frame house with craftsman style elements. Twentieth century
alterations to the building include the addition of gabled dormers in the 1930s, asbestos siding in the
1960s and a picture window during the 1970s. It is believed that the house contains a log structure
beneath the modern siding.
The Varner Family Cemetery is also located on the property and contains ten marked graves including those of J.H. Varner, who died in 1836 and his wife Mary Varner, who passed away in the 1860s. Other gravesites date from the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. J.H. Varner and his wife operated the ferry crossing on their land until the Civil War. Remnants of Civil War breastworks are also found on the property, three to four feet in depth.
The Redwine Plantation, the Phillips House and the Varner House are listed on the National Register of
Historic Places as part of the 1996 Roscoe-Dunaway Gardens Historic District (#96001414).
Above History is from South Fulton Scenic Byways - Historic Context By: Patrick Sullivan & Jessica Lavandier